Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tribute From Teresa De Leon

As friends and Joys family attended her memorial service. I found myself in the midst of Mexico City. I had been having a hard time with the death my dear friend Joy. I had just spoken with her right before she left for Malaysia, just like we always would about once a month, since I had also been living a busy life in Mexico; we would catch up on each others adventures, and she told me all she was going to do. She was actually going to be the reason it would be my first time in Asia. So since her passing, I been having long nights, still in shock, and just trying to process. I had to keep reminding myself that she is home now, that she left a imprint not only on my life but anyone that surroundered her and knew her.
So on this day, that friends and Joys family attended her memorial service. I found myself in Mexico City, preparing  a message I was going to share to a church of about 300 people. My unulce, who is the pastor, wanted me to encourage his congretation about missions, what missions is about, and the reality about missions. Many of the people had only been going to church about a year, and many were also new members and were still learning the basics of christianity. As I gave the message about what God gave me to share, and spoke about having a strong foundation in Christ. Being a Christ follower, hearing the voice of God,surrendering to Him then sharing pictures about some of the places God had taken me to after being a missionary for 9 years now..and well still am. I knew the moment came where I would speak about Joy. I was challeneged, I didnt think I would make it through..but as her picture came on the big screen, I was movitated to share even more. I let loose,  I told them how Joy was a instrument of God, how she was a chatter box for the Gospel, her smile left a imprint on many. And as I spoke, with tears rolling down my face but yelling  this challenge to the congretation. I asked the final question. “How many want to Follow Christ”. And as 40 hands went up in the air, and Joys picture on the screen, I began to have flashbacks, and picture that smile. I was reminded this day, I was challenged. Many more came the the Lord that day, just one day after her memorial service. I was able to pray for the sick, and was able to encourage many. It was a awesome, awesome time..then I had to get ready to do it all over again for second service. Joys testimony made a difference, and I would continue to carry that on, that is something I have promised. After sharing her life to the 300 people with 40 people giving thier lives to the Lord,  I can say I do feel at peace and know Joy is home. And I just need to remind myself.
For Joy
--
In His Service,
Teresa D.

No comments:

Post a Comment